Random Acts of Flowers recycles and repurposes flowers by engaging
dedicated volunteer teams to deliver beautiful bouquets and moments of
kindness to individuals in healthcare facilities across the country.
Everything Grows goes through a lot of Orchids and Bromeliads and when we have extras we donate them to the Random Acts of Flowers Silicon Valley location. Flowers and plants do help heal, and being a Certified Green Company this is a great way to reuse something in a very helpful way.
Medical research has shown that patients with flowers or plants in their room have:
- Shorter hospital stays
- Lower ratings of pain, anxiety, and fatigue
- Lower systolic blood pressure
- More positive feelings
Here are some articles and research on the benefits of plants and flowers:
- “The Mental Health Benefit of Flowers” (2013) The Huffington Post
- “Evolutionary Psychology” (2005) Rutgers University
- “Home Ecology of Flowers” www.AboutFlowers.com
- “Home Ecology Study” By Nancy Etcoff Ph.D.
- Theraputic Influences of Plants in Hospital Rooms on Surgical Recovery (2009) American Society for Horticultural Science
- Gardening, mental health and the real power of flowers (2009) The National Post